The town of Hartney took its name from James Hartney, a wealthy Ontarian who in 1881 purchased two full sections (the equivalent of eight farms) along the Souris River and hired workers to plough the fields a year before he arrived with his family and servants in 1882.

While Hartney was certainly not typical of the settlers the district, he reflected in great part the aspirations of the residents of this largely Ontario-born farming community.

  • Housing
  • School – K-12
  • Daycares and nursery school
  • Recycle and Garbage collection
  • Church
  • Grocery services
  • Gas
  • Banking
  • Postal Service
  • Water and sewer
  • Community Hall and Rink
  • Volunteer Fire Department
  • Legion
  • Annual Events
  • museum
  • Campground
  • Ball diamonds
  • Library
  • Restaurant